Sunday, September 7, 2014

Kudos to HP

I have used HP servers before. Generally speaking, though, I am a software guy not a hardware guy, so when I say I've used such-and-such hardware I usually mean that I've used Linux and other software on that piece of gear.

In the last week I have had an opportunity to touch the hardware, first to rack a handful of DL360s, then last night to add memory. In both cases I've been impressed and they have made a fan out of me.

Installing the servers was a breeze because the rails are terrific. They install with "click", front and back, and then the servers slip on to the rails. I've dealt with other rails in the past which were a convoluted combination of gravity, insertions, and screws. And worse yet, some can make uninstalling a server a chore. HP wins this one hands down. Click, click. Ingenious.

Adding memory had a little less wow factor but I did like how the lid slips on and off with the little lever. And the DIMMs fit in nice and securely, again with a click click.

No comments: